Hydration has a powerful effect on athletic performance and recovery. Staying hydrated helps you regulate your body temperature and blood pressure. It’s also vital to helping your body move and metabolize nutrients, which affects both your athletic performance and your ability to recover.
But how you hydrate matters, too. Hydration via IV is fast and allows your body to receive nutrients it might otherwise not get.
Drinking Water versus IV Hydration
To be sure, drinking water is better than nothing. But if you’re working out hard, IV hydration is a powerful way to maximize your workouts and dramatically improve your recovery:
- IV hydration is fast. When you drink water, it takes time to enter your system, where it’s absorbed by the large intestine. By comparison, IV hydration is nearly instantaneous: It moves directly into your bloodstream, where it’s needed.
- It’s great in a crisis. If you’re having cramps or other acute difficulties, IV hydration resolves them fast, so you can put your body back to work and feel your best.
- It introduces electrolytes directly into your system. Water is hydrating, but the body needs electrolytes to maintain normal muscle function. Electrolytes are salts that dissolve in water and transmit nerve impulses across the body. IV hydration methods couple electrolytes with water, so your body has what it needs to perform at peak efficiency.
When you drink water, take vitamins and receive other oral treatments, you absorb approximately 30 percent of the benefits. IV hydration’s swift, efficient process allows your body to absorb 100 percent of the benefits, often in as little as half an hour. It’s no wonder CrossFit athletes, marathoners, football players, UFC fighters and other athletes rely on IV hydration before games, between bouts and to deal with acute problems like cramps.
Athletic IV Hydration Cocktails
wHydrate’s RNs administer two IV hydration solutions specifically designed for athletes. In addition to electrolytes, Myer’s Cocktail has a blend of B vitamins, vitamin C and antioxidants, while the Afterburner has vitamins B5 (dexpanthenol), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 and B12. All B vitamins work together to promote wellness and help the body metabolize energy, but these four B vitamins have particular functions:
- B5 improves wound healing and collagen synthesis.
- B6 and B12 work together to metabolize proteins and improve blood flow to muscles.
- B9 metabolizes energy and promotes healthy body functions.
Almost immediately, you’ll see IV hydration allows you to step up your ordinary workouts and display your true athletic potential. It’s far more powerful than just drinking water or a sports drink, and with one try you’ll see why so many athletes swear by it before, during and after their workouts.